Saturday, September 22, 2012

TABARCA ISLAND

I'm going to have an incredibly difficult wake up call when I have to come back to real life. Because right now, every weekend includes visiting remote tropical places and then staying out all night. 
Today we visited the isle of tabarca. A forty minute boat ride and we arrived on this little guy. No cars, close to 100 inhabitants, a must visit. 

At 11:15 about ten girls from my program left port. The boat ride was absolutely awesome. This first picture is from right when you get off the boat. You walk down a little path and then see all of these little old fishing boats. It was like from a movie (a trend here).  The island is literally smaller than lincoln park, so we conquered the whole thing on foot. 


First we hiked up the left side (i'm not sure what direction that was). It was like a mountain/hill that was a dessert on top and rocky cliffs on the sides. Stunning. Unreal. 

The other side of the island was a bit more inhabited. All of the houses and little shops lined skinny, rocky roads. 
This cove was unbelievable. In order to get to the water, you had to climb. There was a rope anchored in the ground and you had to use it to get down and up. 

 After exploring the whole thing, we relaxed for a couple of hours on the rocks and sand before our boat left at 5:00. I don't have any souvenirs, except for sun tan and tired feet, but it was a really perfect day.
On the boat today I thought, I don't know if this whole thing feels like a dream because it is so unreal, or because I've never felt this alive. I don't know if everyone can understand that, but it kind of makes sense to me. I hope that when some of you come, you can catch a glimpse and experience this surreal place for even a few days.
LOVE AND MISS> HUGS AND KISSES TO ALL
Other things: Yesterday, sailing was insane. It was the wildest day I've had. We were on the catamaran, and it was the windiest it has been. I can only explain it as: when you go tubing behind a boat, but you are disappointed because it isn't crazy or hard enough, YESTERDAY SAILING WAS. 
Also, I cut my hair, just to my shoulders, but I feel that you important people should know that. 

5 comments:

  1. Hwy ju ju,
    Dont tou know that any time that you are going uphill you are moving in a northerly direction? Ha Ha!I'm so glad that you are able to experience and enjoy such incredible viaje. It does seem as if you are living a dream! I know that the time you are spending will change not only your life from this day forward, but will enrich every person that you come in contact with, includig us. What lucky people we are to have you! Keep living and learnig!
    Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cut your hair to your shoulders! Will we recognise you? It's the same colour right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Julia, you are such a sweetheart! Lovely pictures posted. My favorite one is of you, naturally. The island depicted in these pictures does seem surreal...likes it's out of a book or movie...Always good to see you and hear from you...Have fun...take care...Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia: Feeling speechless. Full of emotions, but speechless. You look beautiful. You and this intimate relationship you are developing with the Mediterranean takes me aback, in a way. I read the lines and then in between the lines and I am speechless. Want to keep this brief, for now, and just tell you that I love you, love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Julia,

    Wish I could think of something sweet and profound to say but my tongue is tied (DOESN'T HAPPEN OFTEN) and I stand in amazement, of you.

    ReplyDelete