Monday, November 5, 2012

A REALLY GOOD WEEKend

Hello all! I just had a rough Monday after an amazing four-day weekend. Bear with me as I try to capture the majority of my re-energizing, yet exhausting weekend. 

As I'm sure you are all aware of, last Wednesday was the American acclaimed holiday, 'halloween'. Although traditionally Spain doesn't celebrate it, within recent years it has gained popularity because, well.. because it is a reason to dress up and have fun. fun, did someone say FUN!? of course I was willing to partake. 


 No way was I about to spend money on a costume, so early Wednesday morning I began to evaluate my closet: maybe a vine (easy all green), possibly a zombie (I can wear anything!), or Cleopatra (my specialty, jewels and make-up). Just when I was figuring things out, I went to my friend Martha's house and her host mom became involved. She didn't like any of my ideas and took it upon herself to dress me in her real daughter's clothes from every decade ever. So I squeezed into those crazy pants and topped it with a knit hat. I think officially I was 'a girl: from any decade you want'. **Ignore the sexy pirate, that's my friend Erika. ::: **






Thursday Martha and I rock climbed and hiked through a new area just up from our houses. We originally went out around noon, came home for lunch at 2:30 and returned to the mountains until near five. A beautiful day spent making ourselves stronger and laughing when we fell (HEHEHE).
Thursday night I went over to a friend's house to make dinner and he asked ME TO PEEL THE POTATOES. (Some of you are aware that years ago Uncle Jim prepared my sisters and I for this moment by gifting us with 'top-of-the-line potato peelers'. He also advised us to always have ours with us, because this special point in time would come.) Of course, I forgot my peeler in Freeburg, so I had to peel them with a knife (disgraceful). All I could think was how Uncle Jim 'told me so'. Regardless of my ill-preparedness, I had a really satisfying Thursday.

WE AREN't EVEN HALF WAY> TAKE A BREAK >

Friday I got to go sailing with Martha's host family on their big ole' sailboat. We left at ten with bags of fruit and bread, sunglasses, and jackets.
We sailed all the way out to Tabarca, the island I previously visited. I just got to lounge around pretty much the entire day (see photo below). It was an absolutely perfect day to sail. Along the way we snacked on cokes, cheese, and chorizo. Once we dropped the anchor I got to nap on the front end in the sun while I listened to Spanish adults talking and chicken being grilled. We ate salad, chicken, and fruit for lunch. I was still hungry, but no one else was, so I didn't ask for more (only complaint of the entire weekend).




On the way back to shore Juan Carlos, our captain, suggested we subirse (climb up) the mast. Of course I could not pass up this opportunity. The photos don't do the mast justice and I'm a terrible judge at heights, but know that it was VERY tall. So he strapped me in and pulleyed me up. Then I just got to sit up there and watch everything around me. The sea, some islands, the shore of Alicante, a blue sky. It was absolutely the perfect ending to a perfect day.  



Saturday I left Alicante at 9:00 am on a bus to Alcoi, a city about two hours into the mountains. Our destination was a festival in a smaller city not far from there. After a couple hours of napping and watching the beautiful scenery, we arrived! 


It was somewhat of a medieval festival so I felt right at home, in Praire Du or something like that, except that it was giant. The streets were full of vendors selling jewelry, pottery, grilled corn, cotton candy, and everything in between. Literally every corner unveiled a new street full of them. 
Most of the actual vendor people were dressed up in some sort of a costume and there were several performers around too (see photo below). I bought way too many souvenirs (some gifts!!), but had an eventful day. The whole place smelt like fall and festivals are supposed to; grilled meat and vegetables, smoke, goodness. It was a little rainy, also setting the mood for a fall day in the mountains. 





 I ate grilled corn on the cob, artisan chocolates, my packed lunch, 1/3 of the biggest cotton candy of my life, and tons of samples of fancy cheeses. The bus ride home I napped and tried to remember every detail about my day. I arrived to my host family, including the daughter and her husband, sitting around eating pumpkin pie. So of course I joined them! Such a fitting way to end a fall day in Spain. 



Because of the weather and it being November, my host family and I have been talking so much about fall/winter holidays and traditions. I've learned a lot about the different ways Spain celebrates La Noche Buena (Christmas Eve), Navidad (Duh), and La Noche Vieja (New Years Night). I still haven't figured it all out though, so don't expect me to change our traditions at home. 

It's getting colder and I'm feeling like this is my real life. I cannot believe I only have a little over one month left. There is still so much I want to do and see and learn. I'll just have to come back I suppose. 

Thanks for sticking with me through this monstrous post. Hope everyone at home is safe and lovely. MIss you all. Love you all. ALthough I don't want to leave, at least I have the best people waiting for me!!!!! !!!!! <3333

4 comments:

  1. Wow Julia. Its so nuts hearing about all you have going on! You seem to be at home there while all of us back here are the people who are away. It all sounds so amazing and natural for you! It's very comforting to hear you talk about friends and "host" families in the way that you do. It almost sounds as if you are going to stay and make spain just another spot that we will all have to come and visit if we want to see you. I know that you will be coming home soon tho and I hope it won't be too much of a let down for you to be back in the boring states in winter. I'm still on my way on sat the 24th as we spoke of but there's been a complication with connecting flights back so it's changed a bit. I'll e-mail with info. Not a lot new on this end. Certainly nothing as exciting as what you are experiencing, you lucky girl! Lotsa work still. The weather not too bad yet here. We're looking at 70 for sat and sun. Soak up all that you can. Talk and see you soon. Love you
    pops





























    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julia...was so pleased to see your new posting and all the pictures. But I must admit, I began to feel exhausted as I continued to read... Being hoisted up the mast on that sailboat looked amazing! You have had such interesting and amazing experiences! Thanks for sharing with us....As always, love the pictures and with your narration, it all comes to life. I love reading how you write. Be safe...have fun...Love and miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Julia! For sharing. On my way to school and have been digesting your post since last night. Am speechless.... am proud.... am happy for you.... more later! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh.. just took a look at Alcoi or Alcoy. Did you get to the castle there? Read a few reviews from tourists who had made that their destination and it sounds like a perfect place to experience "Spain". Not too far from the Sea but up in the mountains. That, with all your other adventures must have made up a quite exhilerating (spelling? ) and wonderful few days. Please, remember all the details you can, so that when we are sitting around the kitchen here at Cedar Lane, you can tell me all the details. I can't wait to hear more. Keep up all the fun, but be safe.
    Miss you and love you, honey.

    ReplyDelete